- 2 washcloths – score some at the dollar store or upcycle ones you already have!
- 8-12 hair elastics* - I found these fun colors in the beauty section of the dollar store (you’ll see a theme here…)
*Feel free to substitute with alternative materials! Check out my list of suggestions below…
- Sewing machine*
*If you don’t have a sewing machine this can be hand sewn too! Extra time = Extra love!
As you will come to know, I LOVE finding little craft-hacks at the dollar store! But I do recommend washing your materials. You can wash them before you start your project or after you’ve completed your masterpiece, as long as it’s clean when baby pops it in her mouth for the first time.
Next you’ll take the second washcloth and layer it over the first, making a “tag sandwich”. Pin the layers together. Now we’re ready to sew!
Substitutes for Washcloth
- Potholdlers (Dollar Store!)
- Fabric Scraps
- Knit or Crochet
- Fleece blankets (Dollar Store!)
- if you feel like making a larger blanket for baby to lay on
- Upcycle old clothing
- ex. cargo pockets from pants
Subsitutes for Elastics
- Gros Grain ribbon
- Satin ribbon
- Velvet ribbon
- Braided ribbons
- Knotted ribbons
- Lace ribbon
- T-Shirt yarn - DIY
- Fun shoelaces
- Cut fabric into fun shapes or favorite animals
- Insert plastic bag between layers for fun crinkle noise
- Put fun applique on it
- Quilt yours for even more cool texture
- Insert a shoelace with lots of knots for a fun lumpy feel
- Fill with dried lavender for a naturally soothing scent